If a picture says a thousand words, then a live video must be priceless. Today it comes as no surprise that Twitter users want to get with the times and explore the world of recording and sharing live video streams. Luckily the new Twitter video app, Periscope, allows you to do just that. Here is a list of seven ways to leverage the tool:
- Treat your title as a Tweet. Remember, first impressions count. Before your followers even see your live stream in action, they will see your title; and it better be eye catching. To get started, click on the broadcast icon and then simply select the Twitter button (the small bird) to Tweet your title. If you are broadcasting with a friend, don’t forget to mention @theotherperson. Another tip is to include an official hashtag if you are broadcasting from an event. Be mind-blowing!
- Location, location, location. The next step is to share your location. Another cool function of Periscope is that you can choose to share your location and your broadcast will then be included in the world map in the app which allows it to be discovered from anywhere. The world will be at your fingertips and fame will be a live stream away.
- Create your own ‘trademark’. Make yourself distinctively different. Create a persona. Your followers will recognise you immediately and there is nothing wrong with building a personal brand.
- Timing is everything. Before you start your broadcast, make sure your followers are connected – this may take a few seconds but you wouldn’t want them to miss a single moment of your live stream.
- If at first you don’t succeed, try try again! Like most things in life, video streaming takes practice. You can redefine your style based on follower comments. Don’t take the feedback to heart, but rather use it to build the right formula. Patience is key.
- Keep that momentum flowing. Having a regular broadcast time will help to retain those loyal followers. Remember they have lives too and need to know when to kick back and watch your video stream.
- The golden rule – be true to yourself and be original. From live gig jamming sessions, to practical lessons on how technology works, the world is your oyster. The trick is to show something with a unique flavour. So unleash your creativity and show the world what you’re made of!